So she just told you the news — she thinks she might be pregnant. We can walk with you through the decision-making process, but in the meantime, here is some quick advice that might help:
Here are seven ways to show her you care:
1. Listen. The situation involves more than just you. There are now three lives to think about.
2. Stay Calm. She needs your support now more than ever. She may be carrying the baby, but you are BOTH parents, and regardless of your relationship in the future, that baby needs you too.
3. Talk about it – not only with each other, but prepare to talk with parents and others close to the situation. Hiding the news from people who can genuinely help you only increases the stress.
4. Gather all the facts. Get all the information and seek wise counsel so you can make the best decision for both of you.
5. Express yourself honestly. It’s normal to have feelings of anger, frustration and fear. However, make sure she knows she is not alone.
6. Check out the adoption and parenting resources available. If you choose to parent, we have a program led by dads for dad.
7. Call Choices for Women (we like guys too!) at 812-941-0872 to schedule a free and confidential appointment (with or without her).
Photo by iStock